Those who follow the Slim for Good eating habits will know that I constantly recommend 1 pint of lemon water before meals. It’s a simple but delicious drink and has so many other impressive benefits. See below how great it is for your body and mind!
1. Helps weight loss – lemons contain pectin, a type of fibre and helps you feel fuller for longer with less cravings. It encourages your body to process absorption of nutrients from your food more slowly. This helps insulin levels remain steady, you get more nutrients out of the foods you consume, less bloating and less of the fat storing insulin hormone. It’s also a mild diuretic, so you might find yourself using the bathroom more often, but this is good as you will be getting rid of any unwanted toxins and encouraging weight loss.
2. Lemons are alkalizing for your body – they are acidic on their own, but inside our bodies they’re alkaline. In fact, they are one of the most alkaline-forming foods, which is great to balance out acid foods eaten like meats & cheese.
3. Lemons are rich in vitamin C and flavonoids that work against infections like the flu and colds.
4. Aids in digestion and detoxification – It tricks the liver into producing bile, which helps keep food moving through your gastrointestinal tract smoothly. Lemon water also helps relieve indigestion or ease an upset stomach and the citric acid in lemon juice helps to dissolve gallstones, and kidney stones.
5. Keeps you looking younger! The Vitamin C is an antioxidant and helps to neutralize free radicals linked to aging and most types of disease. They fight damage caused by free radicals, keeping your skin looking fresh and keeps the body producing collagen, essential in smoothing out lines in the face so that you get less wrinkles.
6. Good for your eyes – It helps maintain the health of your eyes and helps fight against eye problems
7. Boosts energy and mood – Your body gets energy from food molecules. When negative-charged ions, found in lemons, enter your digestive tract, they result in an increase in energy.
8. Reduces stress – just the scent of a lemon has been found to reduce stress and improve moods. (JK, Graham, et al. Olfactory influences on mood and autonomic, endocrine, and immune function. 2008)
9. Reduces aches and pains – It helps reduce inflammation in joints and knees as it dissolves uric acid
So, start drinking lemon water because, you deserve these health benefits!